Oil Paint Requirements:
- Create and maintain an artists website in WordPress using the Hatch theme, to show completed class paintings as well as the progress of each painting. WordPress required for midterm and final assessment.
- Attend class regularly and punctually.
- Presentation of work at various points of the semester.
- Visit a NYC museum or gallery and prepare a written report with an analysis of the art.
Standards for Grading:
40% Class participation/class work/paintings
30% Exams, quizzes, studio assessments/presentation, museum report
20% Preparation (supplies),and homework
10% Final assessment: WordPress
Students may find that they already have many of the materials leftover from SP4 painting. However, if purchasing oil paint for the first time, please consider buying water-mixable oil paint and medium.
Required colors: Titanium White, Cadmium Yellow Light Hue, Cadmium Red Medium Hue, Raw Sienna or Yellow Ochre, Alizarin Crimson, Burnt Umber, Ultramarine Blue.
Optional colors: Cobalt Blue, Viridian Green, Thalo Green, Thalo Blue, Cerulean Blue, Naples Yellow, RawSiena, Burnt Siena, Permanent Rose, etc.
Bottle of Liquin
Brushes, bring what you have (but not your best watercolor brushes).
Approximate sizes: Flat ¾” or 1″ ; Round ⅛” or ¼”; and one small pointed brush for fine detail.
Disposable palette: approximately 11″ x 14″ palette
Paper towels: one roll per month per student is required.
3 bars of soap
Palette knife/mixing knife
Stretched canvases that are related in size (same sizes, or 2 sides that are the same) at least 3 very large stretched canvases, or 6 stretched canvases 16″ x 20″ or larger
Painting assignments: (approx. 2 completed paintings per month, or one per month if very large.)
- Brushstrokes are best when visible.
- Paintings are about the paint; the application of the paint, the look of the paint, the visual feel of the paint.Your ongoing assignment will be to create a series, a body of work through which you explore an idea. For example:
- A series of works that begins with representational interpretations and evolves into abstraction.
- A series of paintings that explore the same color palette.
- A series of landscapes based upon personal experience of a particular place in which composition and light are used to intensify artistic expression.
- Abstractions developed from cells and other microscopic images.
- Interpretive portraiture or figure studies that emphasize dramatic composition or abstraction.
- A personal or family history communicated through symbols or imagery
- A series of expressive landscapes based upon personal experience of a particular place
- A personal or family history communicated through the content and style of still-life images
- Abstractions from mechanical objects that explore mark-making
- Interpretive self-portraiture and figure studies that emphasize exaggeration and distortion
- A project that explores interior or exterior architectural space, emphasizing principles of perspective, structure, ambiance created by light, etc
- An interpretive study of literary characters in which mixed media, color and form are explored
- The use of multiple images to create works that reflect psychological or narrative events
Click here for information on google drive presentation assignment (check back soon)